How To Teach The Release Command
Once your dog is in the obedience or control mode, the next step is to release them from control.
Release Your Dog
- Place your dog in a control position, like "sit stay".
- Ask for attention, once your dog is focused,
- Give your dog your release command, "PLAY!"
- Take the dog's favorite toy and swing it in the air enthusiastically, while encouraging the dog to play. Toss the toy, then quickly run to it.
- The dog should run to pick up the toy. If he does, quickly praise him with "good dog", give him a treat and pet him. If he ignores his toy, pick it up and toss it again. If he ignores the toy a second time, entice him by following Step 2 above, i.e., entice with kissing sounds, etc.